Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I found a bike.


Ok, so I was on my way to pick up some paint work on the National Motorcycle Museums 2009 Raffle bike when Kody looked over past me in the ditch and yelled out "It's a KZ1000" He hit the brakes and there she was, a beautiful site to my eyes. Something I might be able to afford, a dusty old bike leaning up against a fence with an old cardboard sign barley legible reading "4 SALE".

I jumped out right away to look, the guy that owned it was working on his truck and I was still revelling and asked, "Hey, This bike for sale?" "That's what it's there for" he replied. Obviosly he thought I couldn't read the 4 sale sign on it.

I asked if it ran, "It did when I had it before" then he explained that he had traded it for a car, then it was sold, then traded for another vehicle but he kept track of where it was as this was his first bike and his favorite bike of all time.

"The Head is shot" he told me, said some kid had it and took off the fairing, painted the bike and tried to time it himself and bent the valves and totally skrewed up the heads. I looked at Kody and he gave me the nod like (I got a set of heads at home) so I offered $100.00 to take it off his hands, he said "SOLD"... I just about crapped my pants. Kody could see right away that I was really excited... I showed up the next morning with a crisp $100 bill and a pickup to load it up.


Well, I got it over to Wisner Cycles and Kody took the head off and checked it out. 2 exhaust valves leak... He said, we can re-work those and have it running in no time. Well, it was going to need a new set of gaskets, Air filter, tires, battery and maybe some TLC.


So, we have it all taken down, Cometic is sending me a set of Gaskets for the bike, I bought some Air filters on ebay for $25.00 and even some Fork Seals.... Now all I have to do is get Kody to work those valves and buy 2 new valves and we'll have it running.


It won't stop there. This is a project bike. This will have a bit of a Mad Max, Road warrior theme to it when I am done. More functionality with saddle bags, made from Army Ammo cans and such.

Even more, the paint job will be Bedliner Truck bed coating... This should be interesting.

I'll paint the engine, re-paint the frame and do a few more neat little things to the bike to really make it say it is all my own.


when I can get to it, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. bullocks. You forgot about the part that you drove by it a million times, and that you had to break it loose from the ground because it had been sitting there all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was sitting there all winter, and yes, I did drive past it a million times. But with the dust, weeds and other trash, and the fact that I wasn't looking for a motorcycle at the time, I didn't see it.

    ReplyDelete